Real World Medical Statistics – NIHR Statistics Group Second Annual Event
- A report on this event and powerpoints may be found here.
- Location: The Edge, Endcliffe, 34 Endcliffe Crescent, Sheffield S10 3ED
- 21st June 2018 – 22nd June 2018
- Last Booking Date for this Event
- 4th June 2018
The NIHR Statistics Group aims to bring together statisticians, clinicians and scientists to develop and promote best methodological practice in healthcare research.
The annual conference aims to:
- Give an update and overview of the NIHR Statistics Group’s current achievements
- Involve new members in the formation of future activities and priorities.
- Promote collaboration between applied statisticians, clinicians and scientists
- Inform and discuss the challenges/opportunities for statisticians within NIHR funding streams
- Provide networking opportunities to share and promote best practice
Who can attend?
Statisticians who are funded either directly or indirectly by the NIHR. This includes researchers/trainees partly- or fully-funded by an NIHR grant, those involved in an NIHR infrastructure (eg RDS, CTU, BRC, CLAHRC, DEC). Non-statisticians who are interested in statistics are also welcome to attend.
Participants registering before 4th May will receive a special “early-bird” rate and will be encouraged to help to shape the final schedule for the conference in terms of breakout group topics and format. Last year our breakout sessions were very popular so we have increased the time dedicated to this activity in the programme. This year, some of the sessions will be for information sharing followed by discussion and other sessions will have a more open discussion-format. You can see a list of the potential session topics on the Further Information tab.
Early Bird Accommodation
Cost – £175.00
This prices includes B&B for one night in student-residence type accommodation.. The early bird rate is available until 4th May, the price thereafter will be £200.
Early Bird Day Rate
Cost – £125.00
This includes attendance at the conference only, delegates will arrange their own accommodation. The early bird rate is available until 4th May, the price thereafter will be £150.
Thursday 21st June
1.00-2.00 Arrival and registration
2.00 Welcome and introductions
2.15 Opening Speaker: Professor Dave Jones NIHR Training Dean
3.30 Breakout discussion session 1 (3 groups)
4.30 Breakout information session 2 (3 groups)
5.30 Feedback from breakout groups
7.00 Barbecue and social networking
Friday 22nd June
9.00 Speaker: Professor Richard Emsley – “Careful with causal inference”
10.00 Updates from sections and working groups since last conference
11.30 Breakout discussion session 3 (3 groups)
12.30 Lunch (poster session)
1.30 Breakout information session 4 (3 groups)
2.30 Feedback from breakout sessions
3.00 Speaker Dr Mike Batley – “Working with Ministers and policy makers”
4.00 Close of meeting
Confirmed breakout group themes:
- Career Development Group
- MRC adaptive designs working group
- Mendelian Randomisation
- Statistical Analysis Plans
- Big Data
- Mediation analysis
- GCP for statisticians
- Diagnostic/prognostic modelling
- Improving the understanding and use of statistics
- PPI in quantitative methodological research