Surgical Clinical Trials Workshop
Meeting for NIHR Statisticians and Trainee Surgeons
Hosted by Birmingham Surgical Trials Consortium, in partnership with the NIHR Statistics Group.
The day provided an opportunity for NIHR statisticians and trainee surgeons to develop their understanding of the design, running and analysis of surgical studies.
Surgical clinical studies can be difficult to successfully undertake and present special difficulties and unique methodological challenges.
Topics covered in this workshop include:
- The use of non-randomised surgical trials;
- Interactive sessions on critical appraisal and design of surgical trials;
- The experiences of surgeons and statisticians involved in surgical trials;
- Difficulties in recruiting for and running surgical trials;
- Statistical approaches to evaluation of surgical devices and procedures.
The key objective of this workshop was to encourage good understanding of the complex issues surrounding design and analysis of surgical trials. As a secondary aim we wish to establish dialogue and collaboration between the statistician and surgeon communities to enable the conduct of well-designed surgical clinical trials.